12.08.2006

Human Pincushion

Last week I tried acupuncture for the first time. I have to say, at first, I was pretty skeptical – I mean, come on – a guy sticks needles into my skin and I’m going to walk away feeling better? Sounds crazy, but it really works – at least it did for me.

The process was very relaxing – I actually left the office feeling very energized. It probably had something to do with lying perfectly still for twenty minutes (which I rarely do).

In case anyone is wondering, the answer is no, the needles don’t really hurt. I’m not saying you don’t feel them going in – you do, but it’s not what I would call painful - nothing like the sharp pain of getting a vaccination.


Image filmed by Bob Seabold.

While I did feel an improvement that night and the next day, I’m not sure how long the effects lasted. As a matter of fact, I may have suffered a little kick-back coming off the initial rush. By the third day, I was feeling pretty blue and have struggled to get back on track. Taking the Pilates classes seems to help - but that rush also wears off pretty quickly.

I’m guessing that whatever path I choose, it will take time before I can truly experience the full effects. It’s hard for me not to expect a “quick fix” when I try something new. I’ve been conditioned to think that way…got a problem? Fix it and move on. But this requires more work, more discipline and more focus. It may not be the quick fix I want - but I’m pretty sure it will be the right fix I need.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home